Navigating to Document Repository
There are 3 different ways to access the EPISODES Platform documents Repository:
- From the EPISODES web platform home page, by clicking on the 'Documents' tag, as shown in the left frame of Figure 1 (indicated by a red field). The User has now entered the Home Page of the EPISODES Platform documents.
- From any of the AH Episodes, by clicking on the 'See more information in Document Repository' at the bottom of the 'Data' section, as indicated in the red filed in the right frame of Figure 1. The User has now entered the selected Episode's document repository base (see the 'AH Episodes' chapter).
- From any of the Applications provided by the platform, by clicking on the link below 'REFERENCES' field, in the Application's description pages (see the 'Test User Guide Application' chapter). The User has now entered the selected Application's document repository base (see the 'Applications' chapter).
Figure 1. Access to the Documents Repository on EPISODES Platform.
Document Repository main view
Figure 2 demonstrates how the Document Repository web page looks like within the EPISODES Platform. The 'About' page is shown in Figure 2, containing contact information and useful links, that can be accessed by clicking on the text in blue fonts, found into the green boxes in Figure 2. The choices provided to the User, (tabs in red boxes, indicated by the numbers in Figure 2) are the following:
- 'Search Repository' allows for quick (text) search or advanced search based on different parameters (further described in Document search subsection)
- 'Browse Repository' provides an alternative search tool, that allows for searching within specific categories of items e.g. Episode, Year, Subject, Creators, Applications references or material acknowledging the EPISDOES Platform (further described in Browsing by category subsection )
- Information on how-to-cite EPISODES Platform
- Links to other EPISODES Platform documents including terminology files, data policy documents, this User Guide etc.
Figure 2. Document Repository web page within the EPISODES Platform.
Advanced document search
Figure 4 and Figure 5 show some of the fields that the User may complete for getting access to the items he/she wishes. There are comprehensive instructions of how to fill the fields. These information can be shown/hidden after switch the small blue button at the right of each field from "?" to "-" and vice versa (Figure 3.1). The User may also select between "All of" Any of" the inserted terms, by clicking on the small arrow at the left of the filling space. The User can also select terms from specific lists as shown in Figure 3.2. He/she may tick box(es) shown in the red frames of Figure 3.2, corresponding to the terms written next to those boxes. Additional filtering can be applied by clicking on the arrows shown in the green frames of Figure 3.2. Instructions for completing the required fields is always provided after clicking on the question mark tab (blue "?" symbol), at the right hand side of each tab. After all input data have been set, the user may either click on the "Search" button to commit searching , or on the "Reset the form" button to clear all the selected fields (these two buttons are located both at the top and bottom of the screen, e.g. at the top of Figure 3.1).
Figure 3.1. Advanced search interface - upper part in the Document Repository.
Figure 3.2. Advanced search interface- lower part in Documents Repository.
- Field 1. The User may modify the present search or perform a new one by selecting 'Refine search' or 'New search', respectively.
- Field 2. Select mode of sorting the results. The available options for setting the order of the results are available after clicking on the small arrow, just before the 'Reorder' tab, and they are: by year (ascending or descending), by author's name and by document title.
- Field 3. The list of references can be exported in several different formats, selected from the small arrow just before 'Export' tab, such as ASCII, BibTeX, HTML, just to name a few.
- Field 4. The results of the search are shown in the screen. Clicking on the blue text in Field 4, Figure 3.3, will lead to the screen similar with the one displayed in Figure 8.
- Field 5. In the cases where the document is available, clicking on Field 5, will download a .pdf copy of the respective material.
Figure 3.3. Search engine results after request for the keyword 'Groningen'.
Browsing by category
The 'Browse' option (Field 2, Figure 2) gives the user the opportunity to perform a special searching in the repository, by selecting specific categories comprising several fields. Filtering of items can be done by year, subject, division or author. All of these filtering processes lead to identical searching tools as the one demonstrated right on for the 'subject' case (Figure 4.1). The main category selected here (subject) is further divided into sub-categories, corresponding to more specialised filters of grouping the repository items. The User may click in the links (blue fonts, Figure 4.1) in order to get access to each specific group. The number in the parenthesis indicates the amount of document available in each category.
Figure 4.1. Subject categorization of the items in the document repository.
When selecting one of the given categories, the screen shown in Figure 4.2 appears. First, the list of references can be exported in several different formats, selected from field 1, Figure 4.2, such as ASCII, BibTeX, HTML, just to name a few. The directory selected and its branches are displayed in field 2, Figure 4.2. The User may click in the links (blue text, Figure 4.1) in order to get access to each specific group. The number in the parenthesis indicates the amount of document available in each category. Field 3, Figure 4.2, shows the grouping mode of the items, i.e. 'Item Type', 'Creators' (e.g. authors), etc. In Field 4, Figure 4.2, the User may select among the different types of documents, appended after 'jump to'. The items are classified according to this order and the User can be immediately transferred to a specific category by clicking on one of the links in field 4, Figure 4.2. Finally the User may select any of the items provided to the list (below 'Articles', in Figure 4.2), by clicking on the link indicated by blue text (e.g. the one shown in Field 5, Figure 4.2).
Access to the previous screen can be obtained after clicking on the "Up a level" tag, shown in the top left corner of Figure 4.2.
Figure 4.2. Details of Subject Areas->Methodology->Method and processing category.
Each document in the repository (either found with search or browsing by category) has its own summary page, as displayed in Figure 5. The title, authors and information on the publication (Journal, issue, etc) is shown together with an abstract. The official DOI and URL are also available (shown in the red boxes, Figure 5 ), where the User may click in order to visit the official Journal website and download the selected article.
Figure 5. Details of particular item stored in the Document Repository.
Proposing new publications
If you know of any publication that might be related to any of the AH Episodes or Applications provided by the EPISODES Platform and that could be added to the Document Repository, please use the Platform's contact form to send us DOI or a link to the publication.